Monday, October 21, 2013

Twitter - Why?

I'd love to write a song about my frustration regarding this issue, but given the logistics behind recording and stuff, it'd be grossly irresponsible of me to do so. But anyway...

Twitter exhausts me.

I get that the key reason for its success is that it allows others to get a glimpse behind the scenes of others.

What i don't understand within this key concept is why we must feel so compelled to share our weaknesses, and why we must highlight our strengths.

See how intrinsically juvenile Twitter is?

But ok, you got me.
I myself have a Twitter account.

It has only been until recently that i've started using it more (a compulsion that came from an imbalance of bargaining power). But i am quite certain that i shall be using it less liberally now.
Based on the tweets of some of the people i followed, i felt encouraged to vent out my feelings and my emotions but quite frankly, that makes me feel very uncomfortable.

For this reason, before recently, i would use my Twitter account for one of two things: a place where i could post about funny things that happen in my life (using it like how i would with a Facebook status), or as a platform to share with others encouraging scriptures from the Word of God.
Honestly, i'd treat it like how i would with Instagram. People never publish a photo of themselves crying in misery.

As a matter of fact, thinking back, i was pushed to use Twitter as advice from a church friend who encouraged me to follow influential, encouraging people so as to be empowered not only on Sundays, but daily with small doses.
Mostly, these would be well known church pastors who'd collectively, provide an endless supply of optimistic quotes and scripture tweets. Those ones like "The Lord is my light and salvation, whom shall I fear, whom shall I be afraid?" or "Do not be anxious about anything but through prayer and petition, lift up your worries to God".

I used it as a social aid to help me in my own life. I used it to keep my blood flowing.
I used it to feel optimistic. To make me smile.

These are of course, what Twitter meant to me personally.

But, i have to be honest. I don't understand why people use it to proclaim their weaknesses to the world ever so frequently. What's the point? As far as i'm concerned, there are no positives in the long-run. They find out you're not perfect and you have problems.
The best reaction you'd expect from followers - "oh it's ok, cheer up!". What's the point?
But really, if you have enough finances to get you internet and a Twitter account, there are more things to be sad and worried about #firstworldproblems #turnyoureyestoHim #hastaggingresponsibly

And then you might tell others about how you perceive yourself: "man, I suck".
Funnily, there's only one type of response to the self-loathing that will come: "poor you, i don't think you're that bad at all!"
Again, what's the point?

When i saw the tweets and 'fml' Facebook statuses from friends of mine who were looking down on themselves or complaining about trivial narrow aspects of life, i didn't look up to them. I didn't even sympathise with them. Maybe a couple of times, I'd personally message them on Facebook and ask "what's up?" Haha, but even me, the renowned 'nice guy' or 'mother goose' (a name which i have been called more than a couple of times) sometimes couldn't care less.
I just feel like it's wiser for me to distance myself from these fools!

And that's exactly what i do.

Of course, there's a different story with my loved ones (i.e. the girlfriend).
There's a certain insecurity that i feel for my loved ones and myself when i see these tweets. I am aware that i might sound like a bit of a control freak when i say this but, i always expect that it's my responsibility to cheer and check up on my loved one.
I can't help but feel defensive whenever i think that there might be someone else out there (a 'competitor') who might solicit unwarranted recommendations and in that sense, try to take up my role after seeing her tweets. #ijustreallyloveher #shesnotforsharing
I know the things i say will never be enough to keep her absolutely satisfied, calm, and feel like the most important person in the world to me (no matter how bloody hard i try) but gosh, the thought of another guy taking up my role while i'm still her other-half brings... me the chills.
Please, what's the point?

Twitter scares me.

There is an enormous repercussion potential in the things you share on Twitter. Things that people can pounce on.
The public display of your emotional cracks - it's dangerous.

There is such an addiction that can come from this type of social networking in the form of desiring the attention of others to your situation. Surely, this reliance is not a good thing...

This of course, leads me to my main overall contention.

You don't need to reveal the behind the scenes to the public.
All you need are the people who matter to you. The people who truly love you.
And the Comforter; Jesus.

No one has a perfect life. But why burden people who don't truly care rather than those who do?
Because it's those who do care who will give you undying support and the empowerment to press on.
Trust only those who you know you can.

Otherwise, you're only receiving a short-term burst of relief at the expense of letting your problems out and potential embarrassment into the future.

In conclusion...

Keep it together. Keep it close. Keep trusting in God. 




No comments:

Post a Comment